Tuesday, March 6, 2012
"Mompetition"
There are a series of cartoons on YouTube titled "Mompetition." They feature obnoxious animated robot voiced moms trying to one up each other in venues like neighborhood parks. I used to find them wildly funny. Now they annoyingly mirror what has become of some of my friendships since the birth of my children. The same gals I used to depend on for a fun afternoon out have been replaced by overachieving mombots interested in nothing more than bragging about their toddlers latest trick and making others feel like theirs are lagging behind. Most of these women, I find, are the ones who are of the SAHM variety. I conclude that they do this for one of two reasons. Either it's because they have the time to spend with their children and teach them all the things that working mothers can't OR it's because they have so much more free time on their hands to obsess over what their children are doing. I am in no way shape or form putting down SAHMs. I hope that someday I can join their club and spend afternoons at the park instead of the office. In all honesty, my schedule has been so busy that I rarely even talk to these women anymore, lest see them. There is a great divide between SAHMs and working moms. It's an area almost as dangerous as opposing political party members. I choose to avoid the landmine dance and avoid my former gal pals altogether. The only reason I know all of their children's amazing feats is through Facebook, which is the internet mompetition equivalent of the park. Status updates are about whose kid is doing what and when. Sometimes I'll even get asked if one of my children is walking yet or talking yet, they want to know what they are saying, how many stairs they can climb. It's not out of care or curiosity, because it is almost always followed with "Well Sammy is doing this," or "Too bad, Sally is." I try not to talk too much about what my kids can or can't do on social media. I don't want to make anyone feel bad or give anyone a chance to worry me because it's worrisome enough being a mother. So no, my kids don't really walk yet, and by the time they do say "mamma" maybe yours, from what I gather, will be finishing War and Peace...in Mandarin, but my kids can light up a room with their smiles, charm a crowd with their laughter, and know just the right moment to give me a hug, and, for now, that is enough.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Ugh, I'm not even a mommy and the "mompetition" drives me up the wall! Most of them are probably stretching the truth or out and out lying. Who cares if little Ashleigh or Max can walk or talk before your little ones can? It means absolutely nothing as things will all even out in the end. Don't let other moms get you down.
ReplyDelete