Tuesday, April 10, 2012

I'm THAT Woman

I know I had tweeted I would blog about the toll a multiples pregnancy took on my body, but I'm going to save that, because today I came to a more urgent epiphany. I went to see a friend of mine for lunch. It was the first time I was meeting her 3 month old. Like many newborns he was quiet and sleepy as he calmly rested in his infant seat while my friend leisurely ate and chatted with me. Ahhh, I remember those days. Today I realized just how far my babies have come. No longer are they the tiny quiet infants they once were, oh no, they have grown. Yes, they are cute, yes, I love them, yes they are good boys, but are they, or any other toddler for that matter, suited for eating in a restaurant? My one son was pretty good, sans for trying to dismantle a curtain hung behind him, his brother, however, had me desperately wanting to hide under the table. My baby B, as he was dubbed in ultrasound pictures and at the hospital, wanted nothing to do with the experience. He flailed and fussed in the high chair, he spit food all over the floor, he screamed and carried on. I was apologetic and extremely mortified, thinking of all the times my pre parent husband and self used to sit in public and mutter under our breath about spoiled noisy children. Was this my payback for my prior judgmental ways? As we were leaving and I packed my children into their stroller, leaving behind a veritable crime scene of the gastronomical kind, I felt defeated by my own ignorance. Welcome toddler hood, so long world, as we will be forced to hide for at least the next two years, I presume. It's that or be the spectacle everywhere we go, you know, the one you tell the hostess, "Please don't seat us over there..." as you point in the direction of me and my adorable ill behaved spawn. Yes, I admit it, I have become THAT woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment